Easterseals Bay Area’s early intervention services offer a comprehensive, research-based treatment program for children from birth to three years of age diagnosed with or showing signs of a developmental delay, or who may be considered high risk of having a developmental delay. We use a play-based, interdisciplinary and family-centered model of early intervention. All services are provided in the child’s natural environment, including the child’s home, family daycare, childcare center or other community based site. Our early intervention staff includes:
specialized instructors, occupational therapists, physical therapists and speech therapists.
The Early Intervention program provides individualized programs for children and their families. It teaches behavioral, self-help, language, communication, cognitive, fine-motor, gross-motor, social and emotional skills.
Based on individual assessments, children enrolled in the program may be eligible for services such as home-based intervention, social play groups and community-based services.
Our long-term goals are to build independence and self-determination; to teach the tools for developing and maintaining loving, mutual relationships and to provide each child an opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to family, school and community.
The Early Intervention Program provides
- Individualized programs to meet the unique needs of each child and family
- A multi-disciplinary team of specialists to provide integrated and effective services (e.g. early interventionists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, behavior analysts and early childhood special educators)
- Activities and interactions designed to enhance each child’s communication, social interaction, learning and active participation in everyday activities and routines
- Ongoing guidance and education to families about their child’s development
- Coaching and support to help parents communicate and interact more successfully with their child
Types of Service
The frequency and types of services a child receives are based on current assessments of the child’s and family needs. Specific services offered through Easterseals Bay Area’s Early Intervention may include:
- Home-based intervention
- Social play groups
- Parent education and coaching
- Community-based services
- Collaborative consultation with schools, childcare agencies, clinics and other service provides
Early Intervention focuses on delivering services on an individualized basis, dependent on the needs of the child. Our programs are guided by advanced research and evidence-based developmental practices from across multiple disciplines, including:
- Speech and Language Pathology
- Child Development
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Education
- Occupational and Physical Therapy
For more information about Easterseals Bay Area's services contact us.